Historic North Court Photograph


Building History




Confused by the old picture,

Click here for a Campus Map



WDCE is on the move…


Over the summer of 2008 a new studio was constructed for WDCE.


It is located in basement of what’s now known as North Court.  Located on the south side of Westhampton Lake, across from the Greek Theater, the building was built in 1913.  At the time, it served as the entire Westhampton College for women. 

WDCE and the Collegian (URs student newspaper) vacated Tyler Haynes Commons to make room for Career Development offices and expanded meeting / flex space.  Though it’s sad to say goodbye to the Commons, our home since the 1970’s, it’s exciting to welcome a new chapter in WDCE history.


The transformation of the space was quite a challenge. 

·  After environmental and structural issues were addressed, demolition of brick and block walls began to open the space.

·  Numerous pipes and wires had to be relocated.
·  The concrete ceiling had to be repaired and the floor re-pored. 
·  New mechanicals, electrical and communications systems were installed.

·  The space was then built-out to include an entirely new broadcast booth, office, lounge/performance space and efficient library arrangement. 


These pictures will give you an idea of the work involved:


Pre Construction – Early March 2008



Progress – Mid July 2008 – walls / floor removed, ceiling repaired



Progress – Early August 2008 – new floor, pipes being relocated


Progress – Mid August 2008 – new pipes entering, framing underway


Progress – Late August 2008 – mechanicals run, new pipes tied in, framing


Mid September 2008 – pipes insulated, electrical rough-in, framing complete

Listen Online:


High or Low


Recommended Player







WDCE 90.1 FM: The best

independent radio station in


Requests/Studio: 804 289 UR90
Office: 804 289 8698
Fax: 804 289 8996
Post: Box 85, University of Richmond, VA, 23173
Office: North Court Basement, U of R
wdce (at) richmond (dot) edu